3rd Annual International Conference on Mediterranean Studies, 31st of March 2010 and 1-3 April 2010, Athens, Greece.
Conference Venue: St
George Lycabettus Boutique Hotel,
Organized by: ATINEP A.E. (email@example.com)
Administration personnel: Fani Balaska, Stavroula Kiritsi, Eirini Lentzou, Katerina Maraki, Sylia Sakka.
Academic and Organization Committee:
· Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos, President, ATINER.
· Dr. Gregory A. Katsas, Head, Sociology Research Unit, ATINER & Associate Professor, The American College of Greece-Deree College, Greece.
· Dr. Angelos Tsaklanganos, Professor, University of Nicosia, Cyprus & Emeritus Professor, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
· Dr. Panagiotis Petratos, Head, Computer Research Unit, ATINER & Associate Professor, California State University, Stanislaus, USA.
· Dr. Cleopatra Veloutsou, Head, Marketing Research Unit, ATINER & Senior Lecturer in Marketing, Department of Business and Management, University of Glasgow, Scotland.
· Dr. John Vlachogiannis, Deputy Head, Environment & Agriculture Research Unit, ATINER.
· Dr. Nicholas Pappas, Professor, Sam Houston University, USA and Vice-President of ATINER
· Dr. Ioannis Stivachtis, Head, Politics & International Affairs Research Unit, ATINER & Director, International Studies Program Virginia Tech - Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, USA.
· Dr. Ioanna Papadopoulou, Academic Member, ATINER & Lecturer, University of Thrace, Greece.
· Dr. Mateo Rossi, Academic Member, ATINER & Professor, Sannio University, Italy.
· Dr. Evangelia Aleksandru Sarlak, Academic Member, ATINER & Associate Professor, Isik University, Turkey.
· Dr. Margarita Kefalaki, Researcher, ATINER & Instructor, ΑΤΕΙ Athens.
· Christos Frantzeskakis, Researcher, ATINER.
(The time for each session includes at least 10 minutes coffee break)
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010
08:00 - 08:30 Registration
08:30 - 09:00 Welcome and Opening Remarks
Dr. Gregory A. Katsas, Head, Sociology Research Unit, ATINER & Associate Professor, The American College of Greece-Deree College, Greece.
09:00 - 10:30 Session I: Ancient
Chair: Katsas, G.A.,
Head, Sociology Research Unit, ATINER & Associate Professor, The
1. Bin Seray, H.,
Associate Professor, United Arab Emirates University, UAE. Trade, Commodities and the Palmyrenes between the Mediterranean World and the
2. Tek, A.T.,
3. Pala. E., Post-Doc.,
4. Iliev, J., Ph.D.
Student, “St. Clement of Ohrid” Sofia University, Bulgaria.
5. Che, J., Professor, Pusan University of Foreign Studies, Korea. Eleusis and Athens: The flexibility of Political Structure and Regional Links in the Ancient Greek Polis.
10:30 - 12:30 Session II: History
Chair: Che, J., Professor,
Buzard, J., Professor &
Head of the Literature Department,
Oransay, A., Assistant Professor,
3. Evans, J., Professor,
4. Papuccular, H., Ph.D. Student,
5. Akincilar, N., Research Assistant,
6. Soykal Alanyali,
F., Associate Professor,
7. Alanyali, H.S.,
12:30 - 14:00 Session III: Economics & Business
Chair: Petratos, P.,
Head, Computer Research Unit, ATINER & Associate Professor,
Winckler, O., Professor,
Professor, Centre of Research History, CNRS/EHESS,
Akkoyunlu Wigley, A.,
Al-Mejren, A., Associate Professor,
F., Researcher, University Ca’
6. Alrawi, K., Director, MBA Programme, Al-Ain University of Science and Technology, UAE. Outsourcing: Pros and Cons for International Business and Strategy Implementation.
14:00 - 15:00 Lunch
15:00 – 16:30 Session IV: Politics
Chair: Tsaklanganos, A.,
1. Delanoe, I., Professor, University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France. The Impact of the Russian speaking Israeli Citizens on the Present Russian Israeli Relationships.
Bayeh, J., Lecturer & Coordinator of Political
Yaman, D., Ph.D. Student,
4. Nugent, E., Master Student, Georgetown University, USA. Hizbullah at the Voting Booth: Pragmatism in Lebanese Domestic Politics.
16:30 – 18:00 Session V: Development
Chair: Vlachogiannis, J., Deputy Head, Environment & Agriculture Research Unit, ATINER.
1. Ben-Meir, Y., Assistant Professor, Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco. Regionalization of Morocco with the Western Sahara: Approaches and Implications.
Florio, R., Assistant Professor,
20:30 - 22:30 GREEK NIGHT AND DINNER (Details during registration)
Thursday, April 1st, 2010
09:00 - 10:30 Session VI: Society and Culture
Chair: Rubarth, S., Associate Professor,
1. Oymen Dikmen, G., Assistant Professor, Istanbul Commerce University, Turkey. Marketing the City of İstanbul as the European Capital of Culture 2010. (Thursday, April 1st, 2010)
2. Getz, S., Lecturer, Academic College of Emek Yezreel, Israel. Higher Education Preferences in Israel: Center and Periphery Compared.
3. Cayli, B., Ph.D. Student, University of Camerino, Italy. The Fight of the Civil Society Against Italian Mafia.
4. Varriale, R., Researcher, Institute of Studies on Mediterranean Societies, Italian National Council of Research, Italy. The Mediterranean Underground Identity.
10:30 - 12:00 Session VII: The Ottoman Mediterranean World and Society
Chair: Depeyrot, G., Professor, Centre of Research History, CNRS/EHESS,
1. Ergul, E., Assistant Professor, Izmir University, Turkey & Saf, O., Ph.D. Student, Izmir University, Turkey. Ottoman House Types within the Context of Transformation in Family Type of 19th Century.
2. Kassab, E.S., Lecturer, Lebanese American University, Lebanese. Post-Ottoman Greeks, Turks and Arabs on Culture, Identity and Enlightenment.
12:00 - 13:30 Session VIII: Philosophy
Chair: Schuller, T., Lecturer,
13:30 - 14:30 LUNCH
16:00 - 19:00 Urban Walk (Details during registration)
20:00 - 21:30 Dinner (Details during registration)
Friday, April 2nd, 2010
Cruise: Departure at 07:15 Return at 20:30 (Details during registration)
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010