Please make a note of the following information (especially if you are sensitive on accommodation issues):
- Depending on a number of variables and conditions (see below in this note), accommodation arrangements are of three types and all of them have happened in the past and quite possibly will happen in the future:
- ATINER arranges for a hotel in a resort area of Athens (e.g. Marathon, Kalamos, Glyfada etc) and this happens when all downtown hotels are fully booked because other events take place such as big rotated conferences, sports events (Olympic Games, football games, etc) and/or because few (very few) Greeks want to change their society by demonstrations and civil disobedience.
- ATINER arranges for a large hotel to be the conference venue and the conference hotel. This might be a hotel in the heart of the city or very close to it.
- ATINER arranges to accommodate conference participants in small hotels in the heart of the city (under the Acropolis-Parthenon). Given that these hotels are small the conference venue might be within walking distance from the conference hotel. Under this arrangement, not all conference participants stay in the same hotel.
- No option (A or B or C) satisfies 100% of participants. Some prefer option A, others option B and others option C. ATINER does not know which option will be chosen till 1-2 weeks before the conference.
- Hotels in Athens do not follow a common pricing or service policy. They are regulated to have a ceiling (top) price but everything depends upon the demand and supply per given period of time. The ceiling price is given behind your hotel door room. Hotels even of the same category and in the same area of Athens have different ceiling prices reflecting variations in the quality of service offered. Their actual price changes almost by the day. In many cases, differences from day to day can be huge. For example, the same single room in the same hotel may cost 40 euro on Sunday and 250 euro on Monday. Also, prices differ in one hotel depending on the room type. A low quality single room may cost 40 euro and a superior or executive 250 euro for the same city-centre hotel. The quoted prices are real (actual) prices and occur every year. Hotels always advertise their low price rooms, usually without taxes and breakfasts. If you are curious why this happens, please ask your department of economics colleagues.
- An effort is made to reserve the best rooms of the hotel at the given price set on the registration form. We never bargain over the price. It is quite possible that the same hotel during our conference undersells their rooms but our arrangement guarantees the number of rooms, the lecture rooms, the coffee breaks and the lunches we need in different hotels. The way it works is very simple. If demand is low during the conference period, we get better rooms (i.e. executive) and a better hotel. If demand is very high because of other events taking place in Athens (i.e. Exhibitions & Games, International Fairs, the Final of Champions League etc), our rooms are guaranteed at the given price but we might end up with standard rooms in any hotel of any category. Please do not ask for a refund, if you find that the price you paid through your registration form is higher than the price the hotel advertises on one of the specific days of your stay. And of course we are not going to charge you extra, if the hotel charges a much higher price. We organize conferences and events almost every week and both have taken place in the same week on many occasions.
- Due to serious complaints by our conference participants in the past, we have decided to collaborate with an agent and establish what we call a conference hotel. Usually the conference hotel is the conference venue. If not, we provide free transportation only if you book with ATINER for your accommodation and the conference hotel is not within walking distance (about 1.5 km) from the conference venue. An effort is made to book the best hotels in the surrounding area of the conference venue but some participants may not find this good enough. The price we set on the registration form (one year prior to the conference dates) is the ceiling price with a discount. Bookings for the conference hotel are done ONLY by ATINER’s administration through your registration form available on the conference website. The price you pay for the room includes the different services you are receiving. Due to high demand from our previous participants, an effort is made to book a conference venue and conference hotels in downtown Athens, i.e. close to Omonoia andSyntagma Squares. But there is a cost for quality. Athens has many hotels of various categories and of course prices. A downtown hotel has much smaller rooms than a resort hotel of Athens. If you are very sensitive on accommodation matters, please do not book with ATINER and check the list of Athens hotels to be easily found on the internet to find one that meets your expectations best.
- Please note that the conference hotel booking may not be the same for all conference participants. This depends on a number of things such as the number of nights you plan to stay in the hotel, the type of fee you have paid, the availability of rooms at affordable price during your stay etc. In many cases and during periods of high demand (impossible to predict in advance), conference participants may be allocated to different hotels of different categories and types. Our usual criterion for selecting such hotels is not so much their quality but their proximity to the conference venue. This has happened many times in the past and it will happen in the future.
- Of course, since you pay through the Institute, we give a total and per item receipts to each participant. As an Institute we do NOT sponsor any hotel or area in Athens. However, if you do not book with the conference hotel, it is our recommendation that you book very close to Syntagma Square (the central square of Athens). If this is your first trip to Athens, make a good note of this advice.
- Athens has close to 1000 hotels and prices vary considerably according to demand and supply, the area of the hotel and the category of the hotel. As we do not sponsor any hotel, please do not ask our opinion on any specific hotel. If you are very sensitive on price, please do not book with us. In Athens, there are many cheap hotels and/or last minute bargains. You may book at your own risk. But please do not trust internet sites for hotel bookings in Athens based only on low prices. And of course do not trust evaluations of the hotels based on previous “customers” reviews. As you may know, all around the world, these are manipulated.