(Note 1: the program is organized along time slots and not according to common theme)
(Note 2: at the end of each session questions and discussions will follow)
(Note 3: Please note that many attendees including those who present a paper may choose the online option. However, ATINER will provide full-fledged services (lunches, dinners, excursions, etc.) for all those who present onsite.)
Monday 29 May 2023
Opening and Welcoming Remarks:
- Gregory T. Papanikos, President, ATINER.
|10:00-11:30 Session 1
Moderator: Giulia Pellegri, Vice Dean & Associate Professor, Architecture-Polytechnic School, University of Genoa, Italy.
- Holly Madill, Director, Michigan State University, USA.
Title: Using CPTED + Placemaking to Help Communities Transition from High Crime.
- Jesus J. Lara, Associate Professor, The Ohio State University, USA.
Title: Service-Learning Education: Transformative Approaches for Declining Urban Communities.
- Tom Wanyama, Associate Professor, McMaster University, Canada.
Title: Potentials and Limits of Learning Factories in Teaching Engineering.
|11:30-13:00 Session 2
Moderator: Jesus J. Lara, Associate Professor, The Ohio State University, USA.
- Saad AlQuhtani, Associate Professor, Najran University, Saudi Arabia.
Title: Children’s School Travel Mode Choice in Sprawled Cities – The Case of Najran City, Saudi Arabia.
- Giulia Pellegri, Vice Dean & Associate Professor, Architecture-Polytechnic School, University of Genoa, Italy.
Title: Drawing as a Representation of Beauty: Canon, Measure, Symmetry, Eurythmy.
- Michela Scaglione, Research Fellow, University of Genoa, Italy.
Title: From Smart City to Artificial Intelligence City: How AI is Changing Urban Perception Please.
- Martina Castaldi, PhD Student, University of Genoa, Italy.
Agostina Maria Giusto, PhD Student, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy.
Title: The Drawn Garden: Historical, Iconographical and Rapresentative Analysis through Time of the “Villa di Livia” in Rome”.
|13:00-14:30 Session 3
Moderator: Carlos Gonzalez, Senior Lecturer, London South Bank University, UK.
- Evangelos Kaisar, Professor, Florida Atlantic University, USA.
Title: Improving the Last Mile Delivery by Integrating Autonomous Delivery Vehicle.
- Giovanni Righini, Professor, University of Milan, Italy.
Alberto Ceselli, Professor, University of Milan, Italy.
Cristina Ondei, PhD Student, University of Milan, Italy.
Emanuele Tresoldi, Scientific Consultant, Italy.
Title: The Electric Traveling Salesman Problem.
- Dimitra Michalaka, Associate Professor, The Citadel, USA.
William J. Davis, Head, The Citadel, USA.
Graham Copeland, Professor, The Citadel, USA.
Kari Watkins, Associate Professor, UC Davis, USA.
Kweku Brown, Associate Professor, The Citadel, USA.
Morgan Hughey, Assistant Professor, College of Charleston, USA.
Title: Evaluation of Transportation Network Infrastructure, Safety, and Travel Route Characteristics of Bike Share, Electric-Powered Pedal-Assist Bike Share, and Electric Scooter System Operation
- Eleni Bardaka, Assistant Professor, North Carolina State University, USA.
Subid Ghimire, PhD Student, North Carolina State University, USA.
Title: Spatiotemporal Analysis of Car and Active Travel Use between Lower and Higher-Income Households in the US.
14:30-15:30 Discussion + Lunch
|15:30-17:30 Session 4
Moderator: Agostina Maria Giusto, PhD Student, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy.
- Luca Lazzarini, Assistant Professor, DAStU, Politecnico di Milano, Italy.
Ezio Micelli, Full Professor, University IUAV of Venice, Italy.
Elena Ostanel, Assistant Professor, University IUAV of Venice, Italy.
Title: Networks Cultivating Values: Insights from Five Culture-based Regeneration Projects in Italy.
- Merit Zimmermann, Researcher, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Title: Beauty and Aesthetic Emotion: A New Paradigm for Urban Development?
- Carlos Gonzalez, Senior Lecturer, London South Bank University, UK.
Title: Vertical Ghettos – Re-Urbanising the City – First Steps… Urban Regeneration.
- Danai Papathanasiou, Teaching Fellow & Junior Lecturer, Maastricht University, The Netherlands.
Title: Scandi-Kitsch: Shifting from Loft Living to Green New Built-Gentrification of the Eco-Friendly Home.
- Jing Liang, PhD Student, Southeast University, China.
Title: Post-Winter Olympics Era: Ice- Snow Tourism and Urban Revival in Old Industrial Areas of Northeast China.
|17:30-19:30 Session 5
Moderator: Mr Kostas Spyropoulos (ATINER Administrator).
- Firzana Shuja, Post Graduate Student, School of Planning and Architecture Vijayawada, India.
Adinarayanane R., Associate Professor, School of Planning and Architecture Vijayawada, India.
Title: Planning For Compact and Low-Carbon Transit-Oriented Development: A Case of Kochi City, Kerala, India.
- Asa Wikberg Nilsson, Professor, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden.
Minna Eronen, PhD Candidate, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden.
Title: Dreamcatching: Introducing a Reflexive Tool to Facilitate Situated Complexity in Urban Co-Design Practices.
- Daniela Pittaluga, Associate Professor, University of Genoa, Italy.
Title: Signs of Memory: Le Corbusier’s Drawings at Villa E1027.
- Francesca Salvetti, Adjunct Professor, University of Genoa, Italy.
Title: The Color of the City, Identity Beauty.
- Galvan Desvaux Noelia, Associate Professor, University of Valladolid, Spain.
Alonso Rodríguez Marta, Associate Professor, University of Valladolid, Spain.
Alvarez Arce Raquel, Associate Professor, University of Valladolid, Spain.
Fernandez Valer Cristina, Associate Professor, University of Valladolid, Spain.
Title: Photography as the Architectural Context’s Reflection: Graphic Analyses in Four Instants.
- Brice Hanberry, Research Ecologist, USDA Forest Service – Rocky Mountain Research Station, USA.
Title: Applying Population Density Models to Define Urban Populations and Identify Response to Prolonged Heat.
Athenian Early Evening Symposium (includes in order of appearance: continuous academic discussions, dinner, wine/water, music and dance)
Tuesday 30 May 2023
|09:30-11:30 Session 6
Moderator: Mr Kostas Spyropoulos(ATINER Administrator).
Old and New-An Educational Urban Walk
- Lap-I Kuok, PhD Student, National Cheung Kung University, Taiwan.
Ping-Sheng Wu, Professor, National Cheung Kung University, Taiwan.
Title: Pre-Urbanization: Informal Housing and Urban Development Policy in Twenty-Century Macau.
- Min Wang, PhD Student, Southeast University, China.
Title: Identification of Optimal Types of Land Development Intensity in Historical Urban Areas based on Adaptability Evaluation of Traffic Capacity and Travel Demand.
- Manlio Michieletto, Associate Professor, German University in Cairo, Egypt.
Title: Building the Future Urban Structure: Kigali’s Green City Project.
- Mi Zhou, PhD Student, Southeast University, China.
Title: Capacity Calculation and Layout Optimization of Public Space in Suzhou Ancient City.
- Antara Sablok, Master Student, National Institute of Technology Calicut, India.
Title: Transmogrifying Banes to Boons: Reviving the interstitial spaces of Kozhikode City Neighborhood.
- Erick Manga, Researcher, Socially Just Public Transport Working Group (SJPTWG), Kenya.
Title: Can the Ongoing Nairobi BRT Project Guarantee a Just Transition? Signposts from Labour Impact Assessment Report and Other Studies.
|The urban walk ticket is not included as part of your registration fee. It includes transportation costs and the cost to enter the Parthenon and the other monuments on the Acropolis Hill. The urban walk tour includes the broader area of Athens. Among other sites, it includes: Zappion, Syntagma Square, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Ancient Roman Agora and on Acropolis Hill: the Propylaea, the Temple of Athena Nike, the Erechtheion, and the Parthenon. The program of the tour may be adjusted, if there is a need beyond our control. This is a private event organized by ATINER exclusively for the conference participants.
|11:30-13:00 Session 7
Moderator: Virginia Sisiopiku, Head, Transportation Engineering Unit, ATINER, & Professor, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA.
- Lily Elefteriadou, Professor, University of Florida, USA.
Title: Congestion Mitigation Strategies in the US: From Theory to Practice.
- Noreen McDonald, Senior Associate Dean, University of North Carolina, USA.
Title: Urban Freight, Congestion, and Planning.
- Ruth Steiner, Professor, University of Florida, USA.
Kai Monast, Associate Director, Technical Services; Director, Public Transportation, School Planning and Transportation Groups, North Carolina State University, Institute for Transportation Research and Education (ITRE), USA.
Waugh Wright, Bicycle & Pedestrian Program Manager, North Carolina State University, USA.
Jeremy Scott, Program Manager, Public Transportation Group, North Carolina State University, Institute for Transportation Research and Education (ITRE), USA.
Juan Suarez, Transportation Planner/Engineer, Alfred Benesch & Company, USA.
Andre Soucy, Graduate Student, University of California, Berkeley, City and Regional Planning, USA.
Title: The Congestion Costs for School Buses and Public Transportation.
- Jamie Furlong, Research Fellow, Westminster University, UK.
Title: Reallocating Urban Space: The Effects of Low Traffic Neighborhoods on Active Travel and Traffic Congestion in London.
|13:00-15:00 Session 8
Moderator: Evangelos Kaisar, Professor, Florida Atlantic University, USA.
- Dimitrios Goulias, Head, Civil Engineering Unit, ATINER and Associate Professor & Director of Undergraduate Studies Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, University of Maryland, USA.
Title: Condition Prediction Modeling of Critical is Transport Infrastructure.
- Boris Svilicic, Professor, University of Rijeka, Croatia.
Title: Safe Maritime Transportation: Security Challenges of Shipboard Cyber Physical Systems.
- Abdulaziz Alshehri, Assistant Professor, Najran University, Saudi Arabia.
Title: Comparison of Risk Factors in Fatal Vehicle Crashes Based on Driver Age and Crash Type.
- Mali Sher, Lecturer, HIT, Israel.
Title: Automatic vs. Manual Traffic Enforcement.
- Colin Macarthur, Senior Scientist, Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute, Canada.
Naomi Schwartz, PhD Student, Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute, Canada.
Linda Rothman, Assistant Professor, Ryerson University, Canada.
Teresa To, Senior Scientist, Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute, Canada.
Andrew Howard, Senior Scientist, Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute, Canada.
Title: Trends in Child Pedestrian Motor Vehicle Injury Rates by Neighbourhood Deprivation Score in Toronto, Canada.
- Rita Viliuviene, PhD Student, Vilnius University, Lithuania.
Title: Towards the Creation of a Functional Cartographic Style System.
- Samer Radad, Assistant Professor, Al-Quds University, Palestine.
Title: Palestinian Universities and their Cities: What we Need to Know about the Al-Quds University Research Outputs toward Jerusalem City?
15:00-16:00 Discussion + Lunch
|16:00-17:30 Session 9
Moderator: Mr Kostas Spyropoulos (ATINER Administrator).
- Josë Manuel Castillo López, Professor, University of Granada, Spain.
Title: Low Emission Areas vs. Urban Congestion Taxes.
- Betül Orbey, Assistant Professor, İstanbul University, Turkey.
Ece Altınbaşak Haklidir, Assistant Professor, Doğuş University, Turkey.
Pinar Şahin, Assistant Professor, Bahçeşehir University, Turkey.
Title: A Comparative Research on Child Participation in Urban Design.
- Ilda Rusi, Lecturer, Polis University, Albania.
Title: Generative Urban Design in the Field of Infrastructure. An Optimize Solution for Connecting Fier and Vlora County by a 600 M Bridge over Selenica River, Albania.
|17:30-19:00 Session 10
Moderator: Mr Kostas Spyropoulos (ATINER Administrator).
- Magda Saura, Professor, Technical University of Catalonia, Spain.
Title: Centuriated Plots of Land for Sustainable Politics of Park Design: A Study Case in Barcelona.
- Alma Afezolli, Head, Department of Civil Engineering, Polytechnic University of Tirana, Albania.
Title: Park-and-Ride Facility along Public Transport Corridor – A Planning Case for Tirana City, Albania.
- Mukta Mukherjee, Assistant Professor, Alliance University, India.
Arunesh Ray, Post-Graduate, Associate Consultant at EY LLP, Global Risk Management, India.
Title: Catching Cab an Act of Fear or Compulsion? Empirical Study based on Online APP Cabs in India during COVID-19.
- Salwa Alawneh, PhD Candidate, The University of Kansas, USA.
Title: Resilience of Spatial Structure in Refugee Settlements of Jordanian Cities.
- Ifeloju Olusanya, PhD Student, University of Kansas, USA.
Title: Understanding Heritage-Led Development Based on Community Perspectives in the Badagry Historic Area, Lagos State, Nigeria.
Ancient Athenian Dinner (includes in order of appearance: continuous academic discussions, dinner with recipes from ancient Athens, wine/water)
Wednesday 31 May 2023
An Educational Visit to Selected Islands
Thursday 1 June 2023
Visiting the Oracle of Delphi
Friday 2 June 2023
Visiting the Ancient Corinth and Cape Sounio