INDUSTRIAL ORGANIZATION, ECONOMICS & LAW
The General Confederation of Small and Medium Sized Businesses, Craftsmen and Traders of Greece &
THE ATHENS INSTITUTE FOR EDUCATION AND RESEARCH (AT.IN.E.R.)
Venue: The conference will take place at the General Confederation of Small and Medium Sized Businesses, Craftsmen and Traders of Greece (G.S.E.V.E.E.) 24 Kapodistriou Street. The venue is 5 minutes walking from Omonoia Square. From Syntagma Square is about 15 minutes walking.
Organizing AND SCIENTIFIC Committee
1. Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos, President and Director, ATINER.
2. Dr. Ioannis Stivachtis, Head, Politics & International Affairs Research Unit, ATINER & International Studies Program Director, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, USA.
3. Dr. Nicholas Pappas, Vice-President, ATINER & Associate Professor, Sam Houston State University, USA.
4. Dr. Constantine P. Danopoulos, Academic Member, ATINER & Professor, San Hose University, USA.
5. Dr. Annabel Droussiotis, Academic Member, ATINER & Assistant Professor, Intercollege, Cyprus.
6. Dr. George Kaloudis, Academic Member, ATINER & Professor, Rivier College, USA.
7. Dr. Scott Nelson, Academic Member, ATINER & Assistant Professor, Virginia Tech, USA.
8. Dr. Andrew Papadimos, Academic Member, ATINER & Lecturer in International Business and Economics, Australian Catholic University, Australia.
9. Dr. Ioannis D. Salavrakos, Academic Member, ATINER & Visiting Lecturer, London Metropolitan University, U.K.
10.Dr. Demetra Arsalidou, Academic Member, ATINER & Lecturer, Cardiff University, U.K.
11.Dr. David A. Frenkel, Academic Member, ATINER & Professor, Head of Law Area, Department of Business Administration, School of Management, Ben-Gurion University, Beer-Sheva, Israel.
Takis Chreppas, Thomas Papanikos, Sylia Sakka
Monday, June 12th, 2006
(The time for each session includes a 10 minutes coffee break)
08:30-08:40 Welcome and Opening Remarks
Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos, President and Director, ATINER.
08:40-10:30 SESSION I
Chairperson: Dr. Gregory T. Papanikos, President and Director, ATINER.
1. Perry-Kessaris, A., Senior Lecturer, University of London, UK. The Legal System as a Mediator of “Investment Community” Relations.
2. Vychodil, O., Ph.D. Student, CERGE-EI Prague, Czech Republic. Contracting and Monitoring Prior to Bankruptcy: The Uneasy Case for the Violation of Absolute Priority Rule.
3. Deutschbein, O., Ph.D. Student, University of Bamberg, Germany. Compliance with the Fundamental Labour Law Standards – Empirical Evidences.
4. Galloway, J., Lecturer, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. The Pursuit of National Champions: The Intersection of Competition Law and Industrial Policy.
5. *Papacleovoulou, C., Advocate – IBA LLB,LLM,MPhil, University of London, UK. Corporation Law. (Monday, 12th June)
10:30-12:00 SESSION II
Chairperson: Papacleovoulou, C., Advocate – IBA LLB,LLM,MPhil, University of London, UK.
1. Day, C., Professor, Syracuse University, USA. Is There a Tulip in Your Future? Ruminations on Tulip Mania and the Innovative Dutch Futures Market.
2. Cilasun, S.M., Researcher, Atilim University, Turkey & Günalp, B., Associate Professor, Hacettepe University, Turkey. An Empirical Analysis of Average Firm Start- Up Size in Turkish Manufacturing Industries.
3. Ben Salah, W., Ph.D. Student, Erudite Paris XII, France. Information Technology, Organizational Change and Productivity.
4. Doherty, M., Lecturer, Dublin City University, Ireland. When is too much Information too much Power? The Regulation of Information, Consultation and Partnership at the Workplace.
5. Zhou, G. Q., Ph.D. Student, Law School of Manchester University, UK. Law and Economics of Fraudulent Misrepresentation.
12:00-13:30: LUNCH (Restaurant “TRIPOLIS”, 9 Marikas Kotopouli Street,
Athens,Tel.: 210 5242018)
13:30-15:00 SESSION III
Chairperson: Day, C., Professor, Syracuse University, USA.
1. Crimm, N., Professor, St. John´s University, USA. Averting Global Crises: Restructuring Presidential U.S. Foreign Health Policy – Making to Recognise an Official Voice for Political Minorities.
2. Daly, B., Lecturer, Dublin City University, Ireland. Alternatives to Claims Handling within Hospital Organisations.
3. Cheyne, I., Senior Lecturer, Newcastle Law School, UK. Life after the Biotech Products Panel Report.
4. Beschorner, P., Researcher, Center for European Economic Research, Germany. Assessing the Efficiency Claim in European Merger Policy.
5. Ainsworth, R., Adjunct Professor, Boston University School of Law, USA. Biometrics: Solving the Regressivity Of Vats and Rsts With “Smart Card” Technology.
15:00-16:30 SESSION IV
Chairperson: Cheyne, I., Senior Lecturer, Newcastle Law School, UK.
1. Marco Colino, S., Lecturer, University of Glasgow, UK. On the Road to Perdition? The Future of Europe’s Car Industry and its Implications for EC Competition Law.
2. Schilling, A., Ph.D. Student, University of Bamberg, Germany. Economic Analysis of Intellectual Property Law - Redefining the Economic Analysis Approach to European Trademark Law.
3. Lauk, M., Researcher, ZEW, Mannheim, Germany. Merger Control in Germany's liberalized Energy Markets: An Empirical Analysis.
4. Kerley, D., Ph.D. Student, Cornell University, USA. Comparing Posted Offer Markets, Online Auctions and English Auctions: An Analysis of the United States Wine Markets and Laws.
19:30-21:30 GREEK NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT
Place: STAMATOPOULOS TAVERN, 26 Lissiou Street, Plaka, Tel.: 210 3228722
Tuesday, June 13th, 2006
09:00-10:30 SESSION V
Chairperson: Kerley, D., Ph.D. Student, Cornell University, USA.
1. Gevurtz, F., Professor, University of the Pacific, USA. United States Law Regarding Vertical Restraints on Competition.
2. Burns, T., Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK. Why the Law cannot Fully Protect the Franchisor’s Brand Name.
3. Kammel, A., Lawyer, VOEIG, Austria. The Enforcement of the Law in Comparative Securities Law.
4. Kolecek, L., Ph.D. Student, Munich Graduate School of Economics, Germany. Bankruptcy Laws and Debt Renegotiation.(Tuesday,13thJune)
Schweiger, J., Researcher, University of Applied Sciences JOANNEUM,
Austria. Industrial Verbund –
Theory and Practical Assessment of On-Site Expansion Strategies.
10:30-12:00 SESSION VI
Chairperson: Burns, T., Senior Lecturer, University of Aberdeen, UK.
1. Gerner – Beuerle, C., Lecturer, King’s College London, UK. Calabresi, Posner and some Common Areas of Confusion: The Value of Life in Law and Economics.
2. *Malloy, M., Distinguished Professor and Scholar, University of the Pacific, USA. Capital Regulation and International Banking: A Questionable Strategy.
3. Naert, F., Professor, Hogeschool Gent, Belgium. Competition Authorities and Regulators: The Birth of a Belgian Model?
4. Guzman, J., PhD Student, Pontificia Universidad Catolica, Chile & Montero, J-P., Professor, Pontificia Universidad Catolica, Chile. Welfare – Enhancing Collusion in the Presence of a Competitive Fringe.
5. Solaiman, S., Lecturer, University of Wollongong, Australia. Disclosure Philosophy for Investor Protection in Securities Markets: Does One Size Fit All? (Tuesday, 13th June)
12:00-13:30 LUNCH (Restaurant “TRIPOLIS”, 9 Marikas Kotopouli Street,
Athens, Tel.: 210 5242018)
13:30-15:00 SESSION VII
Chairperson: *Malloy, M., Distinguished Professor and Scholar, University of the Pacific,
1. Georgosouli, A., Lecturer, University of London, UK. Moral Disagreement in Nonmarket Decision-Making: A Challenge For Law and Economics?
2. Kapas, J., Associate Professor, University of Debrecen, Hungary. Mutant – Firms in the New Economy.
3. Rodney, M., Senior Lecturer, London South Bank University, UK. From Here to Eternity? Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights and the Exclusion of an AIDS Sufferer.
4. Chase, A., Professor, Nova Southeastern University, USA. The Restoration of Capitalism and the Rule of Law in China.
5. du Toit, S.F., Associate Professor, University of Johannesburg, South Africa. The Redistribution of Wealth in South Africa: From Land Reform to Ownership of Financial Institutions.
15:00-16:30 SESSION VIII
Chairperson: Georgosouli, A., Lecturer, University of London, UK.
1. Boeger, N., Lecturer, University of Bristol, UK. Competition Lawand the New Social Democracy. (Tuesday, 13th June)
2. Arsalidou, D., Lecturer, Cardiff University, UK. Stakeholders Director Duties and the UK Company Law Reform Bill 2005.
3. Leen, A.R., Assistant Professor, Leiden University, The Netherlands. A Fiscal Constitution for the EU.
4. Wendel, P., Professor, Pepperdine University, USA. A Law & Economics Analysis of International Transactions Involving Antiquities: The Case for a New Approach.
16:30-18:30 FREE TIME FOR SHOPPING AROUND SYNTAGMA SQUARE OR/AND VISIT THE NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF ATHENS
Place: ROZALIA TAVERN, 58 Valtetsiou str., Exarcheia Square, Tel.: 210-330-2933
Wednesday June 14th, 2006
One Day Cruise to the Aegean Islands (includes
07:00 Bus Departure from Omonoia Square, La Mirage Hotel, 3 Marikas Kotopouli Street, Athens (Confirm Time)
20:30 Return to the Conference Hotel.