2nd International Conference on
Industrial Organization, Economics and Law
ATHENS INSTITUTE FOR EDUCATION AND RESEARCH (AT.IN.E.R.)
Under the Auspices and Support of The New York College of Athens
Venue: New York College of Athens
38 Amalias Avenue, Syntagma 105 58, Athens, Greece.
Tel.: + 30 210 322 5180. E-mail: email@example.com.
Organizing AND SCIENTIFIC Committee
Thomas Papanikos, Sylia Sakka, Takis Chreppas, Zoi Boutsioli.
Thursday June 9th, 2005
(The time for each session includes a 10 minute coffee break)
09:00-09:30 Welcome and Opening Remarks
Gregory T. Papanikos, Director, ATINER
Christos Sakellariou, Head, Business Research Unit ATINER & Associate Professor, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Takis Oikonomopoulos, Dean, New York College in Athens.
09:30-11:00 SESSION I
Chairperson: Christos Sakellariou, Head, Business Research Unit ATINER &
Associate Professor, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
1. Farah, Y., Lecturer in Law, European Business School and Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Essex, U.K. The Role of the Doctrine of Good Faith in Determining the Enforceability of Electronic Jurisdiction Clauses in Online Consumer Contracts.
2. Kariyawasam, R., Assistant Professor, University Essex, U.K. Defining Dominance for Bits & Bytes. (Morning June 9th)
3. Li, X, Ph.D. Student, University of Joensuu, Finland. Economic Analysis of Cyber Security. (June 9th)
4. Poyton, D.A., Lecturer in Law, University of Wales, U.K. The Regulation of Electronic Commerce in the European Union: Has a Favourable Legal Environment been Created and if so, Favourable to Whom?
11:00-12:30 SESSION II
Chairperson: Poyton, D.A., Lecturer in Law, University of Wales, U.K.
1. Byttebier, K., Professor, Vrije University and Researcher, Institute for European Studies,, Belgium & Vandoolaeghe, P., Researcher, Institute for European Studies, Belgium. Public Undertakings and the Limits of Competition Law.
2. Sepp, J., Professor, University of Tartu, Estonia & Eerma, D., Researcher, University of Tartu, Estonia. Estonian Competition Policy – Between Imitation and Innovation.
3. Canedo, M.P., Lecturer, University of Deusto, Spain & Gofti, N., Lecturer, Public University of Navarra, Spain. Procedure of Application of the European Competition Law.
4. Cseres, K.J., Assistant Professor of Law, Amsterdam Center for Law and Economics, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The Impact of Consumer Protection on Competition and Competition Law: The Case of Deregulated Markets.
12:30-14:00 SESSION III
Chairperson: Cseres, K.J., Assistant Professor of Law, Amsterdam Center for Law and Economics, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
1. Adams, J., Senior Lecturer in Law, Northumbria University, U.K. Formation of an International Sale Contract under the CISG: Issues for the Common Law Lawyer.
2. Atkins, R., Lecturer in Law, University of Wales, U.K. The Questionable Usefulness of Contract Law in a Business Environment.
3. Schilling, A., Ph.D. Student, University of Bamberg, Germany. Quo Vadis European Trademark Law? Protection of Non-Traditional Trademarks in European Trademark Law.
14:00-15:00: LUNCH (in Conference Venue)
15:00-16:30 SESSION IV
Chairperson: Adams, J., Senior Lecturer in Law, Northumbria University, U.K.
1. Ainsworth, R.T., International Tax Counsel, Taxware LP, USA, Ford, T., Counsel, Taxware, USA & Maniace, C., Senior Tax Counsel, Taxware, USA. Sarbanes-Oxley and the Eighth Corporate Directive: A Global Convergence of Corporate Governance, the Case of Non-Audit Tax Services? A Comparative Consideration of US and EU Rules in Tandem with Major Variations in French, UK, Australian and Japanese Systems.
2. Bagheri, M., Lecturer in Law, Brunel University, UK. Corporate Governance and the Scope and Nature of Responses to the Agency Problem.
3. Zamora, M.L., Assistant Professor, De La Salle University, Philippines. Art in Advertising: How the “Dead Centre” ‘Kills’ your Message.
16:30-18:00 SESSION V
Chairperson: Bagheri, M., Lecturer in Law, Brunel University, UK.
1. Chiu, I., Lecturer, University of Leicester, U.K. Three Challenges Ahead for the New E.U. Securities Regulation Directives.
2. Can, O., Ph.D. Student, Lancaster University Law School, U.K. Regulation of Water Markets, Right to Water and Privatization.
3. Einarsson, A., Professor, University of Iceland, Iceland. Regulations on Financing and the New Institutional Economics.
4. Fjell, K., Associate Professor, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration, Norway & Foros, O., Associate Professor, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration, Norway. Access Price Regulation Facilitates Strategic Transfer Pricing.
20:30-22:30 GREEK NIGHT
(Place: Tavern STAMATOPOULOS, 26 Lissiou Street, PLAKA, Tel.: 210 3228722)
Friday June 10th, 2005
09:00-10:30 SESSION VI
Chairperson: *Ruff, A., Principal Lecturer in Law, Middlesex University, U.K.
1. Griffith, S., Visiting Professor of Law, University of Pennsylvania Law School & Associate Professor of Law, University of Connecticut School of Law, USA. Gatekeeping Function of D+O Insurance.
2. Eckardt, M., Assistant Professor, University of Rostock, Germany. The Quality of Insurance Intermediary Services and the EU Directive on Insurance Mediation – an Empirical Analysis of Market Conduct and Performance in Germany.
3. Burns, T., Senior Lecturer, School of Law, University of Aberdeen, U.K. Franchising and Securitisation: Legal Structures, Problems and Solutions.
4. Mach, M.A., Assistant Professor, University of Economics, Poland. Logical Representation of Temporal Aspects in Law.
10:30-12:00 SESSION VII
Chairperson: Robinson, R., Professor of Law, Howard Law School, USA.
1. *Wendel, P., Professor, Pepperdine University School of Law, USA. Third Party Liability for Participating in an Agent’s Unauthorized Transaction: Efficiency in the International Context.
2. Camacho, J.V., Ph.D. Student, Kyoto University, Japan & Assistant Professor, University of the Philippines Los Baños, Philippines. Globalization and the Dynamics of Industrial Policies and Labor Market: The Case of Call Center Industry in the Philippines.
3. Peng, S-Y., Member, New York Bar & Associate Professor, NTHU. S.J.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA. WTO Accession and the Liberalization of China’s Legal Market – From Taiwan’s Perspective.
4. *van der Beek, G., Professor, Carinthia Technology Institute, Austria. The Role of High Courts in Economic Policy – A Preliminary Constitutional Economics Analysis.
12:00-13:30 SESSION VIII
Chairperson: *Wendel, P., Professor, Pepperdine University School of Law, USA.
1. Diallo, T., Ph.D. Student, Université de Montréal and C.I.R.E.Q, Canada. Bundling and Complementarity.
2. Heald, P.J., Allen Post Professor of Law, University of Georgia School of Law, USA. A Transaction Costs Theory of Patent Law.
3. *Ruff, A., Principal Lecturer in Law, Middlesex University, U.K. Racial Discrimination and the Employment Monitoring Duty: An Assessment of Its Impact on English Police Services.
13:30-14:30 LUNCH (in Conference Venue)
14:30-16:30 SESSION IX
Chairperson: *van der Beek, G., Professor, Carinthia Technology Institute, Austria.
1. Weston, R., Professor of Management, Macquarie Graduate School of Management, Australia. The Implications of P-2-P as a Disruptive Technology in the Music Industry.
2. Vandall, F.J., Professor of Law, Emory University School of Law, U.S.A. Winning at Craps: Are Casinos Vulnerable to State Suits for Social Costs? – A Further Analysis of Causation and Assumption of Risk. (Friday June 10th).
3. White, J., Professor, Anglia Polytechnic University, U.K & Distinguished Visiting Scholar, East Carolina University, USA. The Confirmation of Sports Law and the Creation of Sports Criminology.
4. Stoyanova, M., Ph.D. Student, Scuola Superiore Sant’ Anna in Pisa, Italy. Regulatory and Competition Law Approaches to Competition Problems Related to Access Pricing in the Telecommunications Sector.
5. Komaitis, K., Research Fellow, University of Strathclyde, Scotland. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers and the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy. (Friday June 10th)
6. Tian, H., Assistant Professor, University of Toronto at Scarborough, Canada. Tax Incentives for Investment in Pollution Abatement.
(Place: Rozalia Tavern, 58 Valtetsiou str., Exarcheia Square, Tel.: 210-330-2933)
Saturday June 11th, 2005
One Day Cruise to the Aegean Islands (includes Lunch)
07:00 Bus Departure from the Conference Hotel to Piraeus
08:30 Boat Departure
19:30 Return to the Conference Hotel from Piraeus.